Wednesday 22 July 2015

#bodyshaming not cool

I just read a blog post about a girl who was told she was 'too fat' to have a relationship with after a first date with a guy. She met him on Tinder and was actually going out with other people too as she was single.

So the next day after the first date, while she was on a date with someone else, she received a long text message from this guy saying really offensive things (but tried to put in a nice way) like he adores her pretty face and personality but his mind can only get turned on by someone slimmer...

What.The.Heck?

This really brings me back to that time when I encountered a similar situation. But not with the guy I dated. Instead, I was being called big/fat/ugly by the guy's friends and relatives (on different occasions). I was so young and naive. I always thought that everyone I meet are actually nice people. But sometimes, you tend to meet people who enjoys putting others down and takes pleasure in seeing them in pain and hopeless.

Yes it hurts at that time. It made me felt worthless, ugly and my confidence level just went down. But that also motivated me to lose weight and take better care of myself. It was also an eye-opener that some people just have bad intentions and just because you look confident and a happy camper, they actually want to see you cripple and go down. The funny part of my story is, I lost a lot of weight (about 12 kilos) after the incident and I was really surprised when a good-looking boy who was five years younger than me actually asked me out. Then bam! Got my self-confidence back ^_^

The moral of the story is, it doesn't matter what size you are. As long as you're surrounded by nice people, you will have a happy life. Be careful with people you meet, some can be nice and some can be toxic. And if you ever meet the latter, just make sure that you know you're a strong person and nobody.. and nobody as insignificant as that person can hurt you. Love yourself more to allow other people get into your life and hurt you like that.

The blogpost of that girl can be found here.



3 comments:

  1. He should've just said he wasn't interested. Why is it hard for ppl to be nice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me tell u another story sarah, based my experience.. I've used to hear a lot of story on how a husband can turn out not interested wt her wife when her wife getting fat, older n not as beautiful as they 1st met (that's wht others used to said la..) But for me these stories are only worth saying for those who's selling a beauty n slimming products only. Trust me i've seen a lot of non-looking but good happily married couple out there coz their love n relationship is worth more than d physical appearance. Let's take dz story as our inspiration to keep moving forward wt any look dt we have now ;)

    ReplyDelete